GEO: Language- Britishisms on the rise in the US, for better or worse.

In the New York Times, Alex Williams notes that what he believes to be an annoying trend has taken root.  Namely, "Anglophonia."  This brilliant turn of phrase (sorry Alex- I know "brilliant" has been coopted into British vernacular, but hey, I was going to say "smashing" but I stopped myself.) literally means "talking like British people" but it also, deliciously, implies that one is "phoney" for doing so.  Did I mention how brilliant that is?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/fashion/americans-are-barmy-over-britishisms.html

The point is, don't we speak the same language?  Must we police our linguistic boundaries?  If a Brit loses their accent after living in the US we don't think "Tsk Tsk- they're trying to be American."  So why is it that when an American, like Madonna, starts sounding British people get on her case?  I think it's an inferiority complex, personally.  The British have a way with words, and we can all enjoy the bumbling diction of amiable bumpkins like Larry the Cable Guy, but we don't have to talk like him to be true Americans.  Better we should pay homage where homage is due.  After all, the British have very gernerously shared their language with us- it would be rude to say no to dessert after we have eaten the entre.  Oh wait, do I sound French?  Bother.

No comments: